Tyrone Youth Ministry (TYM) exists to minister to the middle and high school students of TCPC and encourage them to receive Christ Jesus and walk in him by teaching them how the gospel of Jesus Christ applies to their lives, connecting them to other believers, both young and old, in Christian fellowship, and sending them out to serve the church and witness to unbelievers.
During the fall, winter, and spring, our large group gathering meets on Wednesday nights from 6:00-7:30 p.m. for a time of fellowship, games, worship, teaching, and group discussion. Our current teaching series this fall is the Old Testament book of Malachi and what God’s word to Israel means for us now. This is a great opportunity for the youth to get to know each other better, to hear how the gospel applies to their lives, and to discuss the Bible with each other. During the summer, we take a break from the usual routine and meet less frequently at various church members’ homes. Contact Pastor David or check the church calendar for the most up-to-date schedule of our meetings.
Our Sunday morning classes meet from 9:00-10:00 a.m. before the worship service and provide a more in-depth understanding of the Bible and the Christian life. These classes are meant to spark an interest in the Bible and in God. Everyone from 6th grade to 12th grade meet in one class. In 2023-24 we will be studying the topics of the Old Testament historical books (fall), ethics (winter), Paul’s letters (spring), and apologetics (summer). To see our full youth ministry curriculum plan, contact Pastor David.
Calendar of events
- Saturday, September 9 — fall kick-off @ church
- Saturday, October 7 — Ligonier “Always Ready” youth conference @ Berean Baptist Church
- Saturday, October 14 — Color Wars @ church
- Wednesday, October 18 — special Wednesday night @ Diehl’s Orchard
- Friday, November 3 — Friendsgiving / Bake-Off @ church
- Friday, December 1 — Carriage Town shopping and parade float decorating @ church
- Wednesday, December 13 — Christmas party @ church
Other ministry opportunities
- Summer book studies — in the summer months, we pick a practical, engaging book to read together and discuss
- Winter retreats — after the Christmas holiday season, we have two weekend winter retreats (one for senior high, one for junior high) that we participate in jointly with other PCA churches in Michigan
- Mission trip — the church does an annual mission trip which we highly encourage the youth to attend in order to learn about service as Christians, have their eyes opened to the needs of other people, and build relationships with other people from the church
There are multiple means of communication to stay connected with the youth ministry. For students, we have a GroupMe text thread. For parents, we use the Remind app to send out reminders and/or last-minute changes. For everyone, there is a monthly newsletter that goes out with all the information for the upcoming month’s events.
For more information regarding philosophy of ministry, teaching content, and/or events and gatherings, please contact Assistant Pastor David Groendyk at [email protected].